Tuesday, March 22, 2011

late night dyslexia

After a long, incredibly long, day, I decided to bake a cake. A pound cake. Because I wanted strawberry shortcake and I wanted to feel the weight of it hit my belly darn it! Make me feel alive, kind of thing. I got down to business around 8 that night. Got out the recipe and the ingredients. First thing i noticed, was that it called for was" 6 egg whites at room temp." ....Odd. But i go on prepping anyway, and save the yolks for something else. I went off to wait for the egg whites to get to room temp and keep thinking how odd it is for just egg whites to go into a pound cake, "but that's what the recipe said so it must be right" 9 o'clock hits. Still waiting, thinking, and wondering how the hell that is supposed to work!!!! "Egg whites add air, I don't want air in my POUND cake!"
Oven is on and i proceed to mix the goods together. Double check the recipe and it still reads egg whites. So i decided to give my butter and sugar some extra mix time before adding my egg whites. 10 o'clock is fast approaching, the bowl of egg whites are in hand, I check the recipe again...." 6 eggs! 6 eggs at room temperature" Double, triple check....6 stinkin' eggs. So my pound cake was saved at the very last moment! And the trouble was so worth it once strawberries were on top!

2 comments:

  1. I get that way sometimes...thankfully you caught it though ;) :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it's a good thing you didn't feed the yolks to the garbage can!

    ReplyDelete